Restaurants resume dine-in services at half capacity

Dhaka : The government allowed restaurants to resume dine-in services but at 50 per cent capacity from May 24, as per the health directives to contain the spread of the coronavirus.
Restaurant owners welcomed the decision taken by the government taken on May 23.
The restaurant industry damaged hard by the pandemic expects to recover from their losses due to the new move. However, the restaurateurs are also demanding incentives and soft loans from the SME Foundation to revive from the crisis they suffered.
The government issued a notification on May 23 stating all kinds of public transport, including long-haul services, can operate carrying passengers at half the capacity by maintaining health directives.
But the government again extended the ongoing restrictions on public movement and gathering till May 30 midnight in an effort to stop further spread of the coronavirus.
Restaurants and eateries, which until now could operate for takeaway and delivery services, have also been allowed to offer dine-in facilities at half the capacity, said the notification.
In response, Imran Hassan, General Secretary of Bangladesh Restaurant Owners Association (BROA), expressed their gratitude to the Prime Minister, saying, "We are happy with the decision of the government. The restaurant sector of Bangladesh is a potential and booming industry. If we get some benefits then it is possible to build this sector to international standards and so is our purpose."
"A single organisation should monitor our industry, rather than multiple state agencies. The government should create this in coordination with safe food authority, consumer rights authority, and the NBR. Then our development will surely accelerate," he added.
Syed Mohammad Andalaib, Organising Secretary of BROA, also welcomed the decision, saying they (restaurant owners) needed such a decision from the government to turn around the sector. Even if the restaurant is open with half the seats vacant, they can at least continue trying to revive the sector.
"We have already informed our members to take initiative to open the restaurants in compliance with all types of hygiene directives strictly. We will also monitor, if anyone violates the government decision, we will take legal action immediately against them," he added.
Moreover, Andalib demanded long-term loans with easy terms and low-interest rates from the SME Foundation to revive their businesses after incurring massive losses due to the Covid-19 pandemic and incentives for their staff.
Ashfaq Rahman Asif, restaurateur, and owner of Tarka Restaurant, also said that it is a good decision in the midst of many bad things. It will help the sector to revive but they have more to look forward to in the long run.
Most of the restaurants in Bangladesh operate out of rented spaces. Many restaurants have several months of rent overdue. So, a government representative should discuss with landlords regarding the suspension of rent or an extension on the time given to pay the rent and owners be allowed to pay electricity, gas, and water bills without surcharges and asked for more time to pay due bills, he added.
According to BROA, there are currently about 60,000 restaurants across the country, with more than 8,000 in the capital alone. Close to 2.8 million people depend on the restaurant industry for their livelihoods, while the number is several times higher if it includes the supportive sectors.
The industry began struggling after the outbreak of Covid-19 last year when several restaurants began letting go of staff, while many sold off their businesses. Some were unable to survive and closed shop entirely.
Nearly 25-30 per cent of the restaurants shut down permanently after the first wave of Covid-19, and 50 per cent of ownerships were transferred as their original owners could not survive, said the BROA.










