Two probe bodies formed over Jhalakathi launch fire

Two probe committees have been formed to unearth the reasons behind the fire incident in a launch in the middle of the Sugandha river off the coast of Jhalakathi district's Sadar upazila as at least 39 persons have so far been killed in the fire early Friday.
Ministry of Shipping set up a seven-member committee to probe the accident, according to a notification issued by the ministry.
Joint secretary of the shipping ministry Tofayel Ahmed has been made the probe panel's convener, while deputy secretary Aminur Rahman will act as its member secretary.
The committee has been asked to submit a report to the shipping ministry within three working days, it said.
Earlier in the day, Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority also formed a separate six-member committee to investigate the launch fire. Md Saiful Islam, additional director of port and transportation department, will head the committee.
The government notification comes hours after the devastating fire on Avijan-10 carrying some 800 passengers from Dhaka to Barguna claimed the lives of the 39 people and left 72 others injured.
Besides, the government will provide Tk 150,000 in aid to the families of the victims of the Jhalakathi launch fire, State Minister for Shipping Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury said.
The local administration of Barguna also announced that it will provide Tk 25,000 in aid to the families of the victims to meet the funeral expenses, the minister said after visiting the scene on Friday.
The shipping minister went to Jhalakathi from Dhaka after the news of the fire broke in the morning. The ministry has formed a seven-strong probe committee to look into the incident.
Responding to a question over the adequacy of the vessel's fire safety system, the minister said, “The fitness certificate of the launch is valid until 2022. No vessel gets a fitness certificate if it lacks the safety system.”
The probe committee will see if the certificate was issued properly, he added.










